Saturday, February 20, 2016

Rare Running-Walking Report

Me at the half-mile mark.


Overweight Writer Waddles Three Miles

Race reports used to be a regular fixture around here. There were marathons in Chicago and Eugene, Oregon and 10ks in Northridge, CA but age and illness have curtailed my outdoor sporting activities. Since 2009, I've had arthroscopic surgery on my left knee, skin cancer on the nose, arthroscopic surgery on my right shoulder and an operation for prostate cancer. Over the last 16 months, my weight has ballooned 30 pounds. I am a physical wreck.

So I started walking again. Even more, I signed up to walk a 5k. Nothing motivates me like shelling out money for an event. I can't move fast or far, but I can move and the endorphins percolate leaving me somewhat content. Incidentally, this upcoming race is the same 5k were I broke a metatarsal ten years ago. Time doesn't fly, it teleports.

More soon.










5 comments:

Authors 4 Characters said...

Been there! Not to the same extent, but I spent six months of last year in and out of surgery (Breast cancer) and five weeks of radiation. Between that, and finding something to do to occupy my free time, EATING became a hobby. I gained 15 pounds. So, when I got back to work, I hustled, just to work off the excess weight.

Go easy on the legs. Build gradually. Breathe in that fresh California smog. ;) What was your favorite 'comfort food'?

JP Mac said...

Hope you're recovering from your operation.

My fav was breads and snack foods.

Now I eat smaller portions and exercise 4 - 5 days a week. Slowly, the pounds come off.

Authors 4 Characters said...

I'm good. Oddly, apart from the money issue, I actually missed the down time. But I did do a fair bit of nibbling that I'm only now starting to work off. What's that saying; " Moment on the lips. A lifetime on the hips. Yup. Keep up the good work but DON'T OVER-DO.

Unknown said...

Good luck, Mr. McCann! Hope it goes smoothly with no injuries. =)

JP Mac said...

Thanks, Dexter. So far, so good.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...