Friday, January 01, 2016

New Year's Writing Tips


When not spotting Chinese subs for the Navy,  the blimp is a common New Year's Day sight above Los Angeles. 

Noteworthy Resolutions for 2016

Welcome to a new year, so bright and filled with promise; so clean and sparkling; not like that old bag 2015. Still, last year wasn't terrible. I completed and published my first soft cover, Fifty Shades of Zane Grey. And I concluded my first horror novel, Hallowmass. (Coming soon, really.) On this bright Los Angeles morning, the Goodyear Blimp circling to the northeast over the Rose Bowl, my thoughts turn toward improving this year's fiction output. Here are three fresh avenues:

Book Trailers

I've been wanting to try this for awhile. If nothing else, a decent trailer helps your author discoverability.  The Creative Penn lists eleven steps for making your book trailer using Windows MovieMaker. They include writing out a script and using Google Key Words for your metadata.  

Book Trailer Using iMovie is a short video by Felisha Melendez that walks Mac users through the process .

The Write Life  by Henry Herz lists three free apps authors can employ to craft their visual pitch.

Keep an eye out for my efforts. This sounds like fun!

Audio Books

A growing market. Here is some 2015 data from Publishing Trends:

". . . the majority of audiobooks being produced are fiction. The average listener is 30+ years old, educated and affluent. [Recorded Books CEO Rich Freese] also said while people continue to primarily listen in cars, they 'are now listening to audiobooks on their portable devices while exercising, doing housework, and pretty much anything that you can imagine where this sort of multi-tasking is possible.'"

Naturally, Amazon make it easy for authors to convert the printed word to zeros and ones via ACX Audiobook Creation Exchange.

Whatever I decide, I want Paul Rugg to read The Little Book of Big Enlightenment.

Erica Verillo's Website

Author Verillo offers a slew of practical advice for fellow scribes. Browse around Publishing . . . and Other Forms of Insanity and you'll find a list of reviewers willing to read self-published material, free contests, agents open to clients, and much more.

So I've got my hands full launching my next book, marketing those already out, and learning some new skills. Hope your 2016 is shaping up to be a grand productive time.


h/t: Movieclips


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy New Year, Mr McCann! Hope that it's a good one for you. =)

I'll be focusing on trying to work on and release my own original stories this year... Have a ton in storage but I need to actually get them done!

Also, I agree on an audio book of ANYTHING read by Paul Rugg!

Looking forward to continuing reading more of your blog posts in the future. Here's to a productive 2016. =D

JP Mac said...

HYN yourself, Dexter.

Best of luck with your own stories.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...