Monday, November 02, 2015

Lovecraft Horror Book Draft Done


Image: Arctic-Andy

Dunwich Diversity Seminar Ready for Beta Buddies

Since my last update back in August, I have trimmed the manuscript to a more manageable size, suitable for the eyes of discerning readers. This tale of a party girl grad student who realizes she's the only one capable of saving earth from Lovecraftian monstrosities has fastened onto my subconscious with lamprey-like tenacity. For the last nine days, I've done little but edit pages. (I did eat meals and washed periodically.) But enough fiddling with this update of Lovecraft's The Dunwich Horror. Away with this clash between the politically correct and a sinister warlock; off to the discerning toward the end of the week.

For the detail-minded, I cut 20 chapters down to 16; 304 pages to 216; and 99,386 words to 69,986. (I lopped off my funny, Lovecraft allusion-filled epilogue because it was anti-climatic.) This latest count doesn't include the, as yet, unwritten front and back matter.

And, as some may note, no Halloween release. As it stands now, I'll release the eBook version by Christmas and the soft cover shortly thereafter.

But for today, I will merely say, "Boy, am I happy to be finished."

6 comments:

Roger Eschbacher said...

Congrats! No small feat for sure.

JP Mac said...

Thanks, Roger. You know the feeling.

Authors 4 Characters said...

Mel Brooks well said, "Political Correctness is Killing Comedy" . I hope you were able to fight the good fight for genuineness in honoring the work of a classic horror author. For me, horror is more about what happens in the head ...Suspenseful head games instead of blood and gore. That's cheap. Rosemary's Baby remains a classic because it was a head trip. Up until the end, we don't know if Rosemary's out of her tree or if all this is happening. And we don't even see what the baby looks like.

Another book to add to my winter readings! YAAAY!!!! Congrats and getting it done! (and remembering to eat and shower....periodically).

JP Mac said...

PC is poison to creative works.

PC is death to creativity.

RMB was certainly a well-made film. As were the movies of Val Lewton. But you aren't limited to just sight and sound in print. There's a wider scope to tickle the imagination.

Thanks, it's good to finish up, dine, and wash. -:)

Rafa Rivas said...

However, PC can be hilarious itself. If Kevin Nealon's P.I.P.I. wasn't enough, Dagon and Jill is one of the greatest examples of that.

I'd love to read it as soon as it is available!

What is beta buddies?

JP Mac said...

Test readers.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...