Wednesday, September 16, 2015

A Quarter Century of Tiny Toon Adventures

The cast puts on their best Hollywood Happy Face.

Tom Ruegger Has the Visuals to Prove It

Over at Cartoonatics, Producer Tom Ruegger posts back-in-the-day images related to TV animation hit Tiny Toon Adventures, now 25 years old.

Two months after its September debut, I started writing for Warner Bros. on a spin-off that would feature Elmyra. Our little crew consisted of Peter Hastings, Deanna Oliver, M.D. Sweeney and myself working free-lance, plus Nick Hollander who was on the Tiny Toons' staff. TT story editor Sherri Stoner headed up the project.

And while Elmyra would have to wait eight years for a break-out show, I wrote my first animated TV script, "Take Elmyra, Please," (along with Sweeney and Hollander) which ended up airing on "Tiny Toons."

Today I write animated educational videos and horror novels. Also Wanted Posters when money runs short.

Elmyra escaping from a large, colorful hot plate. 


3 comments:

Rafa Rivas said...

Hi, John. I'll ask you the same reeeeeally obscure trivia I asked Tom at that post, to see if any of you happen to know.
Do you know the name of the teacher in the episode "Going Places"?
I remember her because I noticed she appered in a Merrie Melodies cartoon (don't remember the name of the short), which is odd, since she is really far from a popular Looney Tune (one would expect Granny, instead). In Going Places, I just googled, her voice actor is not credited, but some wiki says she is voiced by Tress. She kind of looks like a cartoon of somebody famous.

JP Mac said...

Sadly, I can't say, Rafa.

The show drew on popular culture, but some culture is more popular than others.

Armando E. Torre Puerto said...

Character actress Edna Mae Oliver, according to Tom and Google. I watched a documentary about her, and she was quite a character indeed. I think somebody in the staff had the good idea to extend her legacy a little bit more.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...