Saturday, August 31, 2013

eBook Novel Writing Update


Novel Writer at Work

Chocked full of metrics, this update celebrated the completion of draft one. At that time I was still aiming for a publication date of August 31.

Then on August 14, I guest posed over at Rachael Rippon's Caravan Girl. There I stated:

"As I prepared to start the second draft, I realized that I wouldn’t meet my initial deadline of August 31. I need time to finish the second draft and let the beta readers do their job while I focus on publishing and marketing. However, I’m certain I’ll upload by September 15. And the organization and metrics I’ve gathered will help me shape the time and focus on what’s important."

September 15 will come and go without seeing my eBook uploaded. Please close your wallets and stow the credit cards. Right now, I'm thinking October 15. But mostly I'm thinking of why I've never completed a novel up to this point: it's a lot of hard work. From a forty page long short story, I've expanded this particular tale to around a 200 page short novel. Characters cry out for more attention, back story, dialogue. Scenes rushed through to reach other scenes must be given their moments. It's easier to nap, read history books, or watch The First 48 than it is for me to craft a novel.

Not that I don't have fun writing. I've been doing it professionally for many years. But there are moments of doubt and hating my own work that lead me to tossing the whole thing into the Tartarus of slain books and starting again on something new. (Oh, the crafty witch called "something new.")

Today I'm on Chapter Five of the second draft and in motion. A third draft may be necessary to make the piece presentable to my beta buddies.

But I'm determined to complete this horror story and see it up on Amazon in time for Halloween.  

Image: Independent Voters of America

6 comments:

Michael said...

Thanks for the post. You should take part in a contest for one of the best blogs on the web. I will recommend this site! e-book writing

JP Mac said...

Thank you, Michael.

Doing my part to keep cyberspace interesting.

Unknown said...

You're better than I am. I HATE re-writes. How do you keep your cool??

JP Mac said...

I don't blame you, Kayla. I mostly look for excuses not to do them.

But, like time itself, rewrites never pass on their own.

Unknown said...

*Poit* You lost me at 'Beta'. I think I'm going to stick to my online fan fiction stuff (yuku.com) If it comes down to a original novel project, then I will have to get someone to explain to me, in PEOPLE ENGLISH, how to write an enovel.

I took my mom (78) to a store to buy a new t.v. and I showed her a kindle. She felt like Wilma Flintstone in the 21 century. I'm beginning to get that same feeling. Yabba Dabba Dooo :D

JP Mac said...

Writing the best story you can is still the most important element.

You can learn the tech stuff, or pay to have it done.

We just bought my mother-in-law a Nook last Christmas. She reads magazines on it, but prefers her books old school style with paper and everything.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...