Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Mars Attacks Cards (or Topps of the Morning To Ye)

Topps Mars Attacks Cards here in all their glory. On the back of each card was a little nugget of story re. the front image as well an update on a Martian invasion of Earth. (In the one to your left, the Martian has a seedy attraction to women's sleep wear.)

I had high hopes for the Tim Burton film version but it turned into campy schtick. I loved these back in the day. You could buy a pack of five and they came with a flat, thin piece of bubble gum. We really did try to collect them all.

Image: Golden Age Comic Book Stories

h/t: Cartoonatics

2 comments:

Tom Ruegger said...

I loved these as a kid -- plus, they scared the crap out of me at the same time. I wanted each and every card, but each one was more disturbing and nightmare-inducing than the last. Ah, childhood!

Took my kids to Burton's "Mars Attacks" when it first came out. Cody was 7 at the time...In one of the first scenes, a herd of cattle comes running down the road. The cattle are on fire. I turned to the seat beside me and found it empty. Cody was racing up the aisle to the exit.

Nate and Luke stayed and watched Mars Attacks.

Cody and I went to the next theater in the complex and watched something with Stallone stuck in the Lincoln Tunnel for two hours.

No cattle on fire. Cody loved it.

JP Mac said...

As a kid, I think the giant bugs scared me more. Nothing nice ever happened to anyone in those cards who met a giant bug.

Around the same time, I think Topps came out with Civil War cards to mark the 100th anniversary of the Civil War. Same gruesome deaths that attracted me to Mars Attacks!

You went after the lost sheep (Cody). That's a good-dad action.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...