Monday, September 19, 2011

So Long, wee Earl Kress

Tom Ruegger has a post up on Earl Kress who just passed away from cancer. A nubbin of a man but with a good heart, Earl had been around animation so long that he used to TYPE scripts on a TYPEWRITER. He wrote animated moves and performed voices and pretty much did everything in the animation industry that a creative guy could do. I'll always remember him sitting in his office at Warner Bros. cranking out scripts wearing a repetitive stress brace on his wrist and forearm. While making shows we'd always say "On film forever" to remind ourselves to pay attention to the details.  Earl leaves behind a big old batch of work that will be 'on film' in one form or another for years to come. Rest in peace, Mr. Kress.
Here's a piece from an Animaniacs Christmas episode Earl wrote called "Little Drummer Warners." 

h/t: CillalisTheSeller

UPDATE: The Animation Guild remembers Earl. 

5 comments:

Tom Ruegger said...

on film forever!

takineko said...

You guys all really have my sympathies, he seemed like a sweet guy from what I hear. I can tell he was well loved.

I always thought that episode was really beautiful.

I'm going to use "nubbin of a man" to describe people from now on. I'll credit you.

JP Mac said...

Tom: Haven't heard that in awhile, huh?

Takineko: Do spread that phrase around.

Craig Crumpton said...

I wish I'd had the chance to know Earl like you, Tom, Mark Evanier, and others in the industry knew him. I only had the experience of brief chats with him at Comic-Con, although we did become something of pen pals after the first time I met him at Comic-Con. He gave me his email address and over the next couple years he shared stories about the cool people he'd worked with and the cool projects he'd worked on.

I managed to find a few of those emails and will be publishing them in my own tribute to Earl for the "Voice Actors in the News" blog. Many of the other emails he sent (including answers to a series of questions about Animaniacs and Pinky & the Brain) I believe are trapped on an old hard drive that was hit with a virus. I've never bothered to try seeing if any of the data was salvageable. Now, I have incentive to do so.

He was such a super-nice guy -- the kind that makes you hurt for his friends and family even if you only knew him casually or not at all. He will definitely be missed.

JP Mac said...

Craig,

Let me know when you're posting the tribute and I'll give it a shout-out.

You should try and recover those emails. That's historical stuff now.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...