Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Pitching Animated TV Shows

With my big-ass sling on, I went to the last of this session's pitch sessions. The exec. was affable and laughed after I told him I was only wearing the sling to score a handicapped parking plaque. He listened politely and demonstrated the mark of a seasoned exec. - expressing both interest and a non-committal attitude.

So far, the score stands at two shows out of three pitched, generating a trio of foul balls known as 'maybes.'

The only way to improve at pitching is to keep at it. I'm taking a deep breath plus my notes on what approaches worked and which ones sucked and start cranking out more ideas for my summer pitch session.

I really hate pitching. Why can't they simply give me money to write something funny and then make it my way? Lousy politics, that's why.

8 comments:

Tom Ruegger said...

I really hate pitching. Why can't they simply give me money to write something funny and then make it my way?

Exactly.

As a professional with a great track record of successful show, you should expect nothing less.

And yet, obstacles at every turn!

This town is nutz!!!

JP Mac said...

Yes, an all-encompassing nuts.

SquirrelyWrath said...

The only other option is to self produce and distribute. Joe Murray did with http://www.kaboingtv.com/ If enough of you guys go indie maybe Hollywood will come off it's high horse and listen. They need to lose more revenue before that happens.

JP Mac said...

Many are self-producing.

But unless you can monetize that production, you're back to hoping the studios pick up your project.

That said, I am doing something for release on-line this year.

Luke said...

Don't worry John, when I open my animation studio, you can make whatever you want. Paid vacations, for research of course, top salary, a big car so you can stare down the execs who rejected you and just laugh and laugh and laugh. Just wait until I invent my jet pack for pigs 1st.

JP Mac said...

Go, Luke.

I salute an aspiring self-made man.

SquirrelyWrath said...

You won't get as much from it to start with, granted. But with a mixture of free and pay for content, with enough advertising on social sites or youtube, you could make it at least pay for its self, if not turn a profit. A lot of people who grew up in the 90s know your name, and have fond memories of your work. Joe didn't think he would get that much ether, but he was pleasantly surprised by how many donated. Just one of the options out there. Something to think about.

JP Mac said...

Squirrely,

I believe you're correct. It seems the key is to get the word out with an eye toward a launch date so you have time to build anticipation and create a list of people interested in the project.

Low payout and low overhead go hand-in-hand, but there's always the opportunity to grow your audience.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...