Sunday, February 20, 2011

Run Around

My friend Bernadette mentioned she was training for May's Pasadena Marathon. I thought, 'Why don't I blog about running anymore?' I had me. I had me cold. Maybe it's because progress is only measurable in geologic time. Since December I've steadily run (or run and walked) three times a week. And while I've been mostly injury-free, I can only progress as fast as I'm able to assimilate the chi running form. Since a slight pain while training for a marathon in 2008, I've started and stopped walking and running numerous times, grown depressed, ate quite a bit, became a tubby man, then commenced the exercise process all over again. In addition, my training attempts have been periodically interrupted by a galaxy of necessary physical repairs. I've had: Knee surgery in 2009. Physical therapy for a knotted shoulder tendon in Feb. 2010. Skin cancer surgery in May 2010. Now that knotted tendon has become a partially torn shoulder muscle. I'll need...surgery! The mileage and times I used to post seem mythic. Another reminder of things past was yesterday encountering Coach Katie (pictured on the left). We ran together for two miles around the Rose Bowl, discussing matters old and new. Very nostalgic and reminded me of how I took my health for granted and what a blast I had with Team in Training. I'm not ungrateful for everything that has befallen me. (Worse things were always possible.) And I had good health care. But years of start-and-stop make for boring blogging. 'Quixotic' comes to mind regarding my ever running distance again. Why not let it slide? Clearly, I'm too old and fragile for the sport. But something says I've got another marathon left. Maybe two. I'm just not ready to concede.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go the distance, Baby.

--yer wife

Kiley said...

Nice to hear you are still keeping at it. A full or half sounds exciting! Happy Trails!

JP Mac said...

Thanks, Kiley.

One day.

Luke said...

Well, John, did this post idea just happen to "run" through your mind (zing!)

JP Mac said...

No.

It walked and ran.

Armando Torre said...

Hey, John. Did you get to know Dwayne McDuffie? He used to writer for WB Animation, but on Static Shock, Justice League Unlimited and most recently Ben 10. I knew him from his forum, great guy. A bit dry when replying, but really sharp. I already miss him.

JP Mac said...

What happened to him, Armando?

Luke said...

According to Paul underscore Dini on twitter, he has just passed.

Armando Torre said...

Well, he just passed away. Surgery complications. The guy just got married about a year ago and was relatively young. He had a ton of projects going on, mostly with Bruce Timm and Cartoon Network. He wrote the All-Star Superman animated movie, which was coincidentally released today.

JP Mac said...

Thanks, Luke.

I didn't really know the man, but R.I.P. Prayers and best wishes to the family.

JP Mac said...

And thank you, Armando.

We never know when our time will be.

I hope mine has been misplaced for a few more decades.

Luke said...

You know, I hope this doesn't mean that whenever you start posting about running again, someone dies each time.

JP Mac said...

Happy thoughts, Luke.

Keep them chipper and light.

Luke said...

Yes sir, will do.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...