Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My Latest Writing Formula

I've finished the next part of the novel's first draft. It comes out to exactly 27,522 words. Throw in my original story and you've got about 150 pages of mostly junk. I'll take a wee break, then write the last section. I've stopped trying to craft coherent sentences and have settled on a method that is part writing, part outline, part stream-of-consciousness, and a lot of notes to myself. In any case, like the erosion of the Rocky Mountains, I'm getting there.

5 comments:

Luke said...

Hopefully you finish that novel before the rockies come a tumblin' down.

Keep going John! You can do it! We're all behind you!

Oh, and by the way, just make sure the book is available on the Kindle when it's out

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a winning formula -especially the 'stream of consciousness' part. Letting one's mind idle in test pattern is extremely helpful when remembering where you dropped your keys or writing believable fiction.
The truth about everything is in there, someplace. It only wants to be extracted.

JP Mac said...

I'm noticing more how the sub-con does a sterling job of sorting through written clutter and finding the story.

takineko said...

I don't trust my sub-conscious to write anything good. When I let it tell me things early in the morning, it frightens me with what it comes up with... but mostly it confuses me.

Jessica Lipman said...

Love your blog! Please check out mine. I run a collaborative blog - DysfunctionalBeginnings.com. Literary works about growing up, family, and beginnings in general (expressed in a variety of medium!) Submissions go to dysfunctionalbeginnings@gmail.com.
thanks for your support!

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...