Monday, May 10, 2010

So Long, Frank Frazetta


Artist Frank Frazetta died following a stroke. He was 82. I loved his work, particularly the evocative covers he drew for Warren Publications Creepy and Eerie back in the mid-60s. When paperback Conan the Barbarian tales appeared around the same time, Frazetta's work graced the front. The old National Lampoon hired him once to draw a cover. Inside that issue, Frazetta also drew the cover for a satiric comic on a gay Dracula. Ah, well, adieu, Frank. Best wishes and prayers for the family.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

RIP Frank. A god of sci-fi illustration -- and I hear he ghosted Li'l Abner for years! No wonder that strip looked so good!
Tom Ruegger

JP Mac said...

Did a brisk trade in movie posters as well.

Maz Zolp said...

Dragula?! Hahaha, that's hilarious. And I've always loved his illustrations for John Carter of Mars. What an amazing artist, he'll be sorely missed.

Uranium Willy said...

Thanks for the Frazetta link to the Uranium CAfe and I am preparing a small post to Frazetta myself. I did a little picture tribute at my Tumblr account and have yet to do one at the Cafe. I really worshipped the guy.

Thanks for the Frazetta memories and I will send you a link when I do my post.

Bill @ The Uranium Cafe

JP Mac said...

Thanks, Bill. Look forward to it.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...