Saturday, April 11, 2009

Taxing Thoughts

Due to my knee flaring up, I'll miss a fine tax protest today. MDW will represent the family. Taxes are particularly unfair in Hollywood. You may hardly work for years - ahem! - then sell something for a big score. The government taxes you at the highest rate, as if you'd been sweeping in the long green the whole time.

Considering that you're taxed pretty much on every transaction plus state, local and federal taxes, in addition to tax on interest, property, phone/Internet and capital gains taxes, I can only assert we're gagging in taxes. Having worked for the federal government, I can assure you its not being spent wisely. Just spent.

Less, I think, is more. Someone once proposed a simple, understandable, flat tax. And while there's a thicket of special interests determined to keep the tax code byzantine and dense, enough angry Americans, making enough noise, could once again reclaim their hard-earned money.

Greedy? I think not.

No comments:

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...