Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Orthopedic News

Had a nice talk this morning with my HMO-supplied orthopedist. While only giving me a fifty-percent chance of ever running marathons again, he gave me a 100-percent chance of knee deterioration if I do nothing.

So it looks like I'll be opting for arthroscopic surgery on the knee. They'll "bleed" the knee above the "pothole,"  filling it with what-will-become fibrocartliage. While not as strong as organic cartilage, there's a chance it could close said pothole nicely, allowing me to race into my dotage. (Not far.)

There's physical therapy and months of EZ walking and light running. But by then, I should know if the pothole can withstand marathon pounding. 

Ahh, well, there. No more moping about. A direction. A risk. Life. Procrastination. Just a little. I'll call 'em Monday and set it up. 

3 comments:

SquirrelyWrath said...

Good luck man. I hyper extended my right knee years ago in a martial arts incident and it still aches sometimes when the weather does something funny. Joint problems suck.

JP Mac said...

I broke a bone in my foot and was running again in three months.

This has been dragging on seven months with more in store.

There's something to be said for the bionic lifestyle.

SquirrelyWrath said...

I'm holding out for that miracle stem cell treatment. You know, the one where they give you a shot and you come out of the office looking and feeling like a teenager again? Yeah. Gotta get me some of that.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...