Sunday, November 16, 2008

Marathon Scratched and Other Thoughts

Ash and smoke ended the inaugural Pasadena Marathon. Winds are dying down, but the air still smells like a fireplace. We've got the windows shut, but the burning scent seeps in.

Off to visit my pal Dale tonight. Dale was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2007. Near death, he successfully battled back, returned to work, and readjusted his priorities, realizing family and friends were more important than the many business deals that previously occupied his life. Now cancer has not only returned, but spread to liver and bones. Doctors are giving him three months. Maybe so. Dale's going through the grief process, but still determined to fight. Several of us visit on Sundays just to call him names and let him know he's remembered and loved as Dale enters the ring for what may be his last round.

For a man to struggle back, learn priceless lessons, then be terminally decked seems most unfair. There's a blog I read occasionally called The Anchoress. Its author lost a brother to illness and wrote on the painful troika of death, suffering, and dignity. Her conclusions allude to a subtle spiritual weaving between dying and comforters, an exchange of graces, a transfer of blessings, including humility, charity, and the self-awareness that our actions count because we're all on borrowed time.

I tend to miss the subtle. I usually want someone to be responsible for my loss so I have an object to focus pain, anger and bitterness upon.

Lost marathons, burned homes, and death rank differently on the hierarchy of hurt, irretrievable in degree. Loss would seem to be the norm in life. Our response allows us opportunities to deepen and grow. And if loss is inevitable, then what we have is all the more precious. If nothing else, I hope to remember that today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post puts things in perspective.

This blog post got me thinking John. Thanks for sharing. The more time I spend on this green and blue ball the more I come to accept that change is a part of life. Not that change is a bad thing, but when those we love around us are gone.....well......

It's difficult to imagine what your friend is going through. He's in my thoughts and prayers.

JP Mac said...

Thanks, Kiley.

Dale was fiesty as ever on Sunday, still dreaming big.

Anonymous said...

Yourtube sean swarner or cancer climber. He had cancer. As a kid doctors gave him weeks to live. He's now an adult who climbs mountains. Check it out.

Anonymous said...

This made me cry--in the good way.

See you tonight.

--Your wife

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...