Sunday, August 17, 2008

Second Practice

TNT Winter Team logged four miles yesterday. My job was to time three new team mates running their initial 5K assessment. I almost lost them in the crowd, as the team was finishing up at the same time. But my trio eventually received times as well as fine snack food provided by the Fall Team.

I couldn't help but note that many of the pace groups ran the four miles too quickly. This seems to happen every season. People think they're "winning" or "bettering their run" by speeding up on the longer distances. It's difficult to explain that the goal is to teach their bodies to endure several hours of race day running. New runners think that because they can go faster, they should. Thankfully, there's always Coach Pete and the rehab pool.

After the run, Doc Smith from the Pasadena Pacers gave an injury clinic. I learned that my slight knee pain is caused by tight hamstrings. In addition to stretching and the roller, this will require icing. So I scored an official Doc Smith ice bag. Most ice bags freeze in odd, rigid positions like frozen lakes. Doc Smith bags are cold but malleable, wrapping easily around joints and conforming to injured areas. These bags rawk!

No comments:

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...