Friday, May 02, 2008

Hyperspacing I-5

Early this morning, my wife and I exited I-5 Freeway in Burbank, parked, and flew to Portland. Enroute, Horizon Air held a contest: the passenger with the oldest penny would win a bottle of wine. Half-asleep, I watched my traveling companions rummage through pockets and purses. The winner produced a 1942 penny and was awarded a large bottle of wine wrapped in gray paper.

A few hours later, we're back on the northern branch of the same interstate 5, driving south to Eugene. Green countryside everywhere, with small hills rising in the background. Oregon appears to be a teenage version of Washington.

As Oregon has legalized assisted suicide, my wife and I joked how any public expression of discomfort is interpreted by state employees as "suffering" and you are summarily executed.

Our hotel is only ten minutes from the finish line at Autzen Stadium, (home of the University of Oregon Ducks.) I picked up my race number (1116) and goodie bag. I've gone from nervous to excited. Now, out for the traditional pre-pre-race meal of Chinese food.

9 comments:

k said...

YUM! I just LOVE Chinese food!

I totally agree about Oregon vs. Washington. It's kinda cute that way.

k said...

That's a very nice number you got, too. It adds up to 9. Good lucky numbers.

If you were playing Paycheck Poker you'd probably win.

JP Mac said...

If I were playing Paycheck Poker then Ray Whalon would probably be nearby wearing a rubber wolf mask.

k said...

With his dead wife's blonde wig.

JP Mac said...

That was the touch that really set off his outfit.

k said...

heh heh heh!

But you know something? I never missed him one bit.

He told me one day, with slimy approval, that I'd make a good wife. Why? Because I worked so hard.

Anonymous said...

congratulations on getting your goal. Why did you push yourself?, you had a few seconds to spare (LOL)

NO FN LN OVERALL DIVPL SEXPL TIME PACE HALF 20 MILE
1116 John McCann 778 36/81 542/965 3:59:53 9:10 1:56:52 3:00:06

JP Mac said...

Jeff,

Thanks. I feel like I slid in to home plate.

Now I can relax and enjoy the Pasadena Marathon.

Are you training yet?

Anonymous said...

Not training yet, I'm still enjoying eating, drinking and playing golf.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...