Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Plenty of Music


Where would a singing cowboy be without good composers? Old chums Steve and Julie Bernstein help keep Sam Plenty crooning about ranch life, evil underground armies and cow pies.

Steve, Julie and I worked together for many years at Warner Bros. on fun animated things. In addition, they also provided the score for my solo venture into filmmaking, the 1999 short The Glendale Ogre (one of only several trillion parodies of Blair Witch.) Post-Warners, they scored a public service announcement on land mines that I wrote and produced for USAID — Agency for International Development — and the State Department. (A project two minutes in length and three years in the making that took me to Cambodia twice and Washington, D.C. three times. A saga worthy of it's own blog.)

In any case, if you happen to have any old films or animation laying around the house and need them scored, give the Bernsteins a ring. Let them know if you have a coupon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey John

They are nifty aren't they? They did great music for a cartoon pilot I made back in the early zeroes. "The Weekly Gnus." Everyone who saw that show said, "Love the music, hate the show, but Gaad, the music is awesome, can you turn the picture off so we can just listen to the music? Oh, and stop the people from talking, too, they're drowning out the sweet melody!"

And their music for SAM PLENTY'S CAVALCADE OF ACTION WITH SINGING is, as the director of that show has declared, "very pleasant in nature, in a tapping-of-toes way."

I think that means it's very good!

Yippee-yee-haw!

Your pal

Tom Obama Ruegger

Joy McCann said...

I adore those people.

My favorite is how when they were collaborating on something, they had a spat and Julie told Steve that things would go more smoothly if he would stop being "a f**king a**hole." [Swoons.] True love.

(Um. If you wanted to um, know about the typo in this post, you'd, um, call a local proofreader, right? I mean, you know where to find one. Not that I get fixated on this sort of thing. I mean, I certainly didn't notice one, but I know someone who'd be happy to take a look.)

Anonymous said...

"The" typo? I see two outright wrongs and a well-that-really-should-be.

Not that I fuss over such things either, of course... Heh...

But wow, a public service announcement about land mines? How... peculiar. I have heard that old mines are a problem in certain nations. A participant in the Paris-Dakar Rally a few years ago was blown up by an old WW2 mine.

Still, a PSA about mines just makes me remember a line from Blackadder.

"Sir, if I do tread on a mine, what should I do?"
"Standard procedure, Lieutenant, is to leap thirty feet in the air and scatter yourself over a wide area."

JP Mac said...

In places ala Angola, Afghanistan, Cambodia, people dig up mines, mortar shells, etc., remove the explosives and sell casings for scrap — provided they aren't "scattered over a wide area."

Many amputees everywhere you go.

A very trying project.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...