Friday, March 14, 2008

Sometimes They Come Back

On Wednesday, I dispatched a large rat that had been causing mischief. I dumped the carcass in a drainage ditch that runs through the back of my property, knowing from experience that the ecological dining service — coyotes, owls, raccoons, bobcats — would handle matters from there.

On Thursday, I woke up early and took out the trash, leaving the garage door open. Two hours later, carpet cleaners arrived. One of them located me as I worked behind the house. He said there was a big dead rat in my garage. Sure enough, it was the same one I'd killed the day before. Perplexed, I deducted the following:

1. A large bird or animal seized the carcass, but for some reason dropped it by chance in my garage.

2. A human being(s) walked onto my property, into the drainage ditch, picked up a big dead rat, and placed it inside my garage.

3. Using cosmic rays, aliens reanimated the rodent. Seeking revenge, it attacked but expired once more before reaching me.

4. A human being(s) walked onto my property, into the drainage ditch, picked up a big dead rat, and accidentally dropped it inside my garage enroute to taxidermy class.

Then there's this possibility.

I invite theories.

9 comments:

k said...

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

k said...

Was it the painters? Are they still there? Have they been paid?

k said...

Do you have a mystery cat? Cats can be very mysterious.

JP Mac said...

We do have a large bobcat that has staked out our yard. I don't contest the critter, because he eats all the right things. But he's pretty skittish and tends to avoid Mankind.

The painters were paid.

Maybe someone got me mixed up with a Mafia stoolie. But they use canaries, I think.

Hmmmmm.

k said...

Or a horse's head. Or a fish!

k said...

Here. I think perhaps I can solve your mystery.

You may be getting a hurricane soon. If so, it's the bobcat.

http://ksquest.blogspot.com/2006/05/dixie-weather-cat.html

JP Mac said...

If two more show up, I'll start shuttering the windows.

k said...

Rumor has it y'all just had a Minor Wind Event.

But I take it no more rats have surfaced.

This doesn't necessarily mean your resident bobcat isn't a qualified Weather Cat.

Perhaps this was only a Force One Rat storm?

JP Mac said...

Yes, and, perhaps, it will be the last of many wind events up here.

Nothing to compare with yours, but significent in their own gusty way.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...