Sunday, May 14, 2006

TNT Half-Marathon

They serve who also sit on their ass and hand out Gatorade. San Gabriel Valley Team in Training hosted an invitational half-marathon. Teams from LA locales such as the Westside, Riverside County, San Fernando Valley arrived to run 13.1 miles on our trails around and above the Rose Bowl. A perfect day to stop back and visit the team.

With a bum leg, I manned a water station at the top of a steep, rocky hill just past Jet Propulsion Laboratories. Most runners huffed and puffed their way to the top where I served them Gatorade, water, orange slices, pretzels, salt packets, and banana slices. A number of folk noticed my cast and asked nervously whether I'd broken a bone on the rocky hill they'd just ascended. They were relieved to learn I'd been running on a flat course during a 5K.

Several runners shared stories about bad breaks and sprains suffered on level terrain. Breaking a bone like that should be listed under running natural disasters: like California earthquakes, they go with the terrain.

In any case, it was good to see my Teammates again. I got a little sun and a bit of exercise. Someone asked if I'd travel to San Diego and cheer on the Team. I said I needed to put this marathon behind me and focus ahead on the next one. (Though I'll be following everyone's time online.)

Hopefully, one more week in the cast.

3 comments:

k said...

I applaud your ultimate decision. I was starting to worry you were hangin' out with the *Able to Marathon-ers* just to torture yourself.

Instead this looks like a nice balance.

And I'm glad you straightened out whatever blogger issues were goin' down!

JP Mac said...

I'm not sure what was happening.

Blogspot was hanging onto my posts.

No doubt out of envy. :-)

k said...

They get a bit...gobbly from time to time.

It's one of those rites of passage. Like the spambots.

Consider yourself *In,* sanctioned by Blogger itself.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...