Monday, April 10, 2006

Broke At Santa Anita

After three days, my underarms are tender. I've put pillows over the top of the crutches for cushioning. I wear a satchel around my neck so I can cart books, etc. from one room to the next. Stairs are a pain, but I'm learning.

My 5th metatarsal, the long bone on the outside of the foot, sustained a fracture on Saturday. A cast for at least three weeks, then, perhaps, a walking cast. No running for two months. So long San Diego Marathon.

This sucks large. But there's nothing to be done but get better and try again.

To those readers who planned to donate, please do so. I understand I can slide your donations forward to another TNT event. (I'm thinking Long Beach in the fall or Arizona in January 2007.) The money still goes to fight blood cancers, but it will be credited to an event I'll actually be running in. (God willing.)

In any case, having a broken foot has improved my writing. I'm no longer in a position to wander away from the computer when I should be cranking out an assignment.

I'll keep posting on the fortunes of the San Gabriel Summer 2006 TNTers.

And I'll head down to San Diego in June to cheer them on.

I should be walking just fine by then.

2 comments:

Jimmy Dean said...

John... on one hand I am deeply saddened to hear this news. On the other hand, I know it will be taken in stride, you are the type that will make this a positive event and spin it into something meaningful, and a lesson for others. Either way, I know how difficult this kind of thing is. PLEASE let me know what I can do to support you through this. IF I have my way (and you heal up as planned, QUICKLY)... I vote for Long Beach, since I'll be coaching that team, and likely NOT the AZ R'n'R program this year.

CALL ME if you need ANYTHING. 310.902.4240

k said...

I just this minute found out. I am so, so sorry. If something just HAD to break, why couldn't it have been your arm or something?!? This totally sucks.

Get better. Seriously. This will be a fine exercise in the art of patience -- while being unable to use many of the Patience Tools you like the best.

Like running.

Oh, man.

This just totally sucks.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...